What is Happening
Ø Citizens are not getting justice on sexual offences because of unnecessary postponements of cases
Ø Citizens are not getting justice on time for example cases of Sexual Offences are taking long than the prescribed 72 hours
Ø High dropping of cases due the exorbitant court fees eg messenger fees and Master’s fees
Observations by the CFPs
• High expensive legal costs e.g. messenger fees
• Unmotivated judicial staff
• Lack of knowledge on the functions of the JSC which includes the steps one has to follow from reporting the case at the police station up to the time the case is brought before the court.
• The communities are afraid to report cases at the police stations or police posts for fear of victimization
• Faith Lost in the justice system because of corruption in the system as Officers are bribed to throw away cases without following due processes.
• Fear to stand before court officials
• The justice system is expensive as people travel from point A to point B and at times the case is postponed which entails travelling back.
• Lack of accommodation and food to make first appearances as complainants and witnesses.
• lack of follow ups or coming to the court.
• Postponement of cases by the courts due to lack of transport or fuel by the Zimbabwe Prison and Correctional Services and non-appearance by witnesses
To contribute towards an effective justice delivery system especially women and girls