Legal Rights and Capacity Building
Legal rights education and capacity building is one of the three key pillars under our 2019 – 2023 Strategy. The primary objective of this programme is to contribute to a just society and the development of a gender sensitive Justice Delivery System, where women and girls are assertive and empowered to equitably claim their rights. Below are the key interventions that will carried out to achieve our goal:
· Legal rights trainings.
· Production of training materials –manuals and IEC.
· Gather, develop and disseminate information through media platforms.
· Identify and train empowerment study circles.
· Training on will writing and trusts for a fee.
· Advocate for alignment of laws to the Constitution e.g. EMA, mining laws and land laws.
· Engage JSC, LSZ on capacity building of lawyers and judicial officers on estate administration, family laws and human rights instruments related to land, mining, climate change and the link with SRHR.
· Engagement with legislature and Law Development Commission on model legislation.
· Ensure provision of legal aid on land rights to women in mining areas and seeking remedies for compensation (pollution, degradation)
· Monitor whether companies are complying with the environmental, mining laws and policies governing the enjoyment of women and girls rights.
· Contribution to the development of national policies & plans of action as well implementation of the same e.g. National Gender Policy
· Maintaining our ECOSOC observer status with UN and AU.
· Linking up with regional and international bodies for best practises.
· Linking with regional and international land & extractives platforms for best practices.